Thursday, 28 April 2016

I CAN HELP YOU OUT by Al Brydon and Jacqui Booth

I CAN HELP YOU OUT by Al Brydon and Jacqui Booth
.......this was the third shoot with both Al and Jacqui shooting together. I travelled to Sheffield again on the train. Sheffield! It used to have such emotive connotations because of my former girlfriend, Susan, who sadly died some years ago but now it is the place where Al lives and where I have met both him and Jacqui for our shoots and that conjures up different emotions. Now, when I think of Sheffield, I think of friendship and bonding and the ability to do anything I want in front of their cameras. This shoot had a different feel to it than the previous two with them and I think the reason for that was that I had already decided to end my project so I felt slightly disconnected at first. But Al and Jacqui are so immersed in their work and so serious about it that this began to dominate the mood and enable us to experiment. 


I know Al told me but I cannot remember where the first part of this triptych was shot but what I do remember was that it was a long climb to get there and that I took my piece of red, gauze-like piece of material with me, fragments of which you can see in the first image and then more clearly draped over me in the second. The tunnel in the second and third images was amazing and the light was weird and excellent. I wanted to take off my clothes there but there was the odd dog-walker about and so it didn't happen. The triptych is very representative of the collaboration with these two; it includes the trees and natural habitat that we all love, the light shining on what we have done together and the old brick built tunnel which speaks of the people who built it but who have passed on. It wraps everything up with a ribbon on top and places it carefully on the shelf with all the other gifts which I have received from Al and Jacqui; the gift of our companionship, of laughter, of jolly banter, of watching them have a fag break or Al deep in thought or Jacqui's beautiful smile. 


On the way up the hill to the first location, we heard the plaintive cry of a little lamb and then came upon the pathetic creature sitting near the path we were taking. The sound of its bleating was sad, like a song of heartache, of helplessness. It had gone by the time we returned and so I guess that it found its mum. I hope so. We all need someone to care for and to care for us.


I have no answer for you little lamb 
I can help you out / but I cannot help you in 
Sometimes you think that life is hard 
And this is only one of them 
My heart is breaking for you little lamb 
I can help you out / but we may never meet again
                                           - Linda and Paul McCartney 

Jacqui & Al inside the tunnel looking out

AL BRYDON'S WEBSITE: http://www.al-brydon.com/
JACQUI BOOTH'S WEBSITE: http://www.jacqui-booth.co.uk/
INSIDE THE OUTSIDE WEBSITE: http://www.inside-the-outside.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment