Wednesday, 14 January 2015

INTIMACY by Magda Rakita

INTIMACY by Magda Rakita
I watched "House of Cards" last night. The performances by Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright were so moving. There is so much about the people they play which is bad and cruel, calculating and ambitious - but in this episode, they showed such a deep love for each other. It was inspirational acting and I wished for one short whisper of a moment that I could do it again because, when you have the opportunity of acting in that way, you become that person and live that life and breathe that breath and think those thoughts and it is wonderful. On the one hand, you are just pretending to be another person but, on the other hand, you are that person. He leaves a present on her pillow and she goes into his bedroom where he is sleeping on his side. She slides into bed and puts her arm around him and he wakes and clutches her hand. It is not a sexual moment as such but it says so much about them and their closeness. Their intimacy.

I met Magda at Photo Forum whenI gave a talk there a couple of years ago and then we met at a cafe in Mornington Crescent and talked through some ideas and ended up with this plan to photograph me inside an old window frame possibly on the beach. But we could never find the right sort of frame. Nevertheless, we kept in touch and then recently, Magda said that she had started this project about intimacy in older age and asked if she could come over and photograph me and also interview me about my thoughts on Intimacy. 

Whilst she was here, this is some of what I said to her :-

My intimacy with Jane is totally different from any other type of relationship.  The intimacy that I have with Jane.. is based on years of love and understanding. And arguments, and touch and looks... if you want to have really satisfying relationship... then it's got to be based on an understanding and an acceptance of who you both are.  And that's what’s important. 

In this photograph, I can see what I am thinking. It is a mixture of seriousness and hope. An acceptance of how things are and how they are going to be allied to an optimism that knows no bounds. The image is crisp, full of light and texture. It is full of what I love so much about this project, this life, Jane and photography. It is full of hope. 

And Magda captured all that in one click of her finger.

WEBSITE: http://www.magdarakita.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment