Saturday, 26 February 2011

MAD HATTER by Paul Rider

MAD HATTER by Paul Rider
Well, I adore Madness and I bought "The Liberty of Norton Folgate" as soon as it came out and it is such a great, great album. By then, I was well under way with this project and so, when I saw Paul's name on the cover as having photographed the nutty boys, I had no hesitation in looking up his website and writing to him.

He replied saying that he thought my project was really interesting and that he would love to take part and wanted to photograph me at my home but "in a slightly epic way" We met a few weeks later at his home in Hornsey and he came across immediately as a really nice bloke. I also met his wife, Adele, who was and still is, charming.  

And so it came to pass that he came down (with an assistant and lights and everything) to Ravenswood and took some slightly epic photographs but it was this slightly less epic but wonderful shot which I chose, wearing the little hat that Jane had chosen for the Rankin shots and which was to appear again in Trafalgar Square. 

Paul  Rider
I like to think that we have become friends with Paul and Adele now. They came to Jane's exhibition of the "Station of the Skirt" series of paintings and, a few months later, Paul invited me to talk to his adult education photography group about my project which I was more than happy to do. 

Last year, they also came to see me on the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square when Paul took a brilliant photograph of Jane. So, all in all, a very fruitful relationship. Paul is a very nice guy and a brilliantly talented photographer. 

Jane in Trafalgar Square

No comments:

Post a Comment