Saturday, 26 February 2011

LUCKY KIND by Spencer Murphy

LUCKY KIND by Spencer Murphy
One day, someone will say to me "So, what was it like being photographed by the great Spencer Murphy?" And I shall tell them that he was a consumate professional, who knew exactly the shot he wanted and got it and also he recognises a cockroach when he sees one.

I saw a photograph by Spencer in the Guardian magazine one Saturday. It was so clear and centred on the subject whom I think was Julie Walters and I thought that it would be fantastic if this guy were to photograph me. So, I wrote to Spencer and he was immediately keen to do it which was a real thrill. We met at his studio and then walked round to a cafe in Dalston where we met the cockroach. The shoot itself took place at his studio on 11th January 2010 and it was really interesting because it was a long exposure of I think about two minutes and, of course, there was no way that I could keep still for that long - hence the brilliance of the shot.

We talked about doing some more work together but it hasn't happened yet but when and if it does, you can be sure that the resultant image will have a touch of genius to it.

http://www.spencermurphy.co.uk/#/portfolio

No comments:

Post a Comment